by Hanz Makmur – Sept 1, 2016 • Updated: Oct 14, 2022
Note: All new employee must activate and use Rutgers Connect for all official business. You may also get ScarletApps account for personal use. Please activate these account when you get your NetID by clicking Service Activation link.
This guide shows you how to access your Faculty/Staff email known as Rutgers Connect. There are multiple ways to access it as listed below:
1. WebMail Interface
The easiest way to access your email is to use supported web browsers by connecting to Outlook Web Access (OWA). To read your email, simply open location below.
Once logged in, you will notice the Rutgers Connect Web Interface known as Outlook Web Access (OWA), showing all your email and other features available there.
2. Using Email Client on desktop/portable computer.
Another way to access your email is to use email client like Outlook, Thunderbird, or AppleMail on your desktop computer and using your portable devices like tablets and smart phones. Please do not use Spark mail client. This client is blocked by OIT due to privacy issue as it caches user mail and user credentials on third-party servers and will not work.
Rutgers Connect support Exchange based clients and you need to configure your devices properly before you can read your email.The recommended client for full compatibility to Office 365 is to use Microsoft Outlook client. However since Outlook is not available on every platform, alternatively, you can use IMAP protocol to read your email. Please be aware that Offline Archive wont be accessible via IMAP. Warning: IMAP protocol may be turned off soon by OIT and no guarantee to work in the future.
NOTE: As of October 2018, IMAP/SMTP are no longer enabled by default on Office365. If you need IMAP/SMTP protocols, you must request it via CS Help Desk
2A. Using IMAP Based Mail Client
IMAP protocol is standard way of reading email on basic email client. This protocol is available for most users except for people who have access to Health data and should be using Exchange protocol described in Section 5 below. To read your email on Rutgers Connect, you need to set your email client’s incoming and outgoing server using oAuth2. For specific details see: (login required)
When done, the settings should look like below when everything is set properly.
Incoming Mail Server:
IMAP Server: outlook.office365.com
Authentication method: oAuth2
Outgoing Mail Server
SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
Authentication method: oAuth2
Note: Rutgers Connect does not support calendar standard (CalDAV). Calendar feature only works with Email clients that support MS Exchange protocol or the Webmail interface. If you have older version of Thunderbird, you may need to upgrade it. MS365 requires more secure authentication that the older version does not support.
2B. Using Exchange based Mail Client.
Exchange protocol is the preferred method to accessed Microsoft Office365 if you have email client that support this protocol. Follow instruction listed in Email and Calendar Setup from OIT.
3. Setting up Compliant Mobile Devices fo Rutgers Connect
Despite the fact that it is possible to follow the IMAP Based Mail client settings table above to reconfigure your mobile devices to work with Rutgers Connect, you should be aware that for security reasons, University Acceptable Use policies require that all mobile devices are to be enrolled in Mobile Device Management (MDM) for all Rutgers staff and faculty.
Essentially you need to install Intune Company Portal app and give Rutgers access to control your phone if it is ever lost or stolen. Follow Mobile Device Management Policy website to setup your mobile devices.
Note: If you set your mobile devices to use IMAP settings above without enrolling in MDM, you are non compliant with University Acceptable Use policy.
Tips: When Synching email with your mobile devices, make sure that the Mail Days to Sync or Period to sync email, calendar setting is set to the number of days you want to see. By default, it is set to sync only a few days of email which means you will not be able to see email older that that set limit
On Apple iOS devices, this setting is at:
➧ [Settings] ➧ [Mail,Contacts,Calendars] ➧ [MS365] ➧ [Mail Days to Sync]
On Adroid devices, this setting varies by version/make/model of your device:
➧ [Settings] ➧ [Accounts and sync] ➧ [your_email_address ➧ [Server settings] ➧ [Period to synch email, calendar]
5. FAQ on Rutgers Connect Email.
Guides on how to set your email client settings for Rutgers Connect is available from OIT Rutgers Connect Knowledge Base. Note: Dont forget to swap any ‘firstname.lastname@example.org‘ or ‘email@example.com‘ to ‘cs.rutgers.edu’.
6. Training Resources
For those who want to learn about the new Rutgers Connect system:
- Complete info about Rutgers Connect available online.
- Webminar sessions on OneDrive, Skype, Office 365 & Email and Calendar
- Self-paced Courses you can walk yourself through.
- Rutgers Connect Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ) is also available.
- Office 2016 Training from Microsoft
- Office Quick Start Guides from Microsoft Self Training – YouTube Videos
- Create an Email Signature in Office 365
- Send an Email Message – Office 365 Outlook Web App – Email
- Folders – Office 365 Outlook Web App – Email
- Create and Edit Contacts – Office 365 Outlook Web App – Email
- Office 365: Calendar – Views
- Overview of the New Office 365
- Office 365: End-User Training
- Office 365 Sharing and Collaboration (Webinar)
- De-clutter your inbox in Office 365
- How to recover deleted email in Outlook Web App 2016
- What is Office 365
- Click for For current status of Rutgers Enterprise Messaging
- Click for Status of LCSR Systems
- For help with our systems or If you need immediate assistant, visit LCSR Operator at CoRE 235 or call 848-445-2443. Otherwise, see CS HelpDesk. Don’t forget to include your NetID along with descriptions of your problem.